Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hebrew Alphabet Practice

I installed the Hebrew keyboard option on my Macbook (I love my Macbook) some time ago, but I haven't tried to work with it until now. Of course, the font in the Wikipedia article is different from the font in my Torah, so I thought I'd type up a little practice here.

א Alef (T)
ב Bet/Vet (C)
ג Gimel (D)
ד Dalet (S)
ה Hei (V)
ו Vav (U)
ז Zayin (Z)
ח Chet (J)
ט Tet (Y)
י Yod (H)
כ Kaf/Chaf (F)
ך Final Chaf (L)
ל Lamed (K)
מ Mem (N)
ם Final Mem (O)
נ Nun (B)
ן Final Nun (I)
ס Samech (X)
ע Ayin (G)
פ Pei/Fei (P)
ף Final Fei (;)
צ Tzadi (M)
ץ Final Tzadi (.)
ק Kof (E)
ר Reish (R)
ש Sin/Shin (A)
ת Tav (,)

The difference between the vav and the final nun is very subtle, and the font used in the article is exceptionally confusing for such purposes; I figured it out through process of elimination.

Clearly, I need to study more.




And that shows me I made some considerable mistakes in my next post, in which I tried to transcribe directly from my Torah (well, the commentary), which I shall fix before I actually put it up.

No comments: