Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And God saw...

(Another post started and never posted until now)

בראית 1:31
וירא אלהים את-כל-אשר עשה והנה-טוב מאד ויהי-ערב ויהי-הקר בקר יום הששי

B'reishit 1:31 Vayareh Elohim et kol asher asah v'hinei tov m'od vay'hi erev vay'hi voker yom hashishi

Genesis 1:31 God then surveyed all that [God] had made, and look--it was very good! And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

"Tov m'od" really means "mostly good." -Nachmanides

(I typed the Hebrew myself and transliterated it myself from a fully vocalized edition; any errors are mine, and I'm sure there are plenty in the transliteration. I did not, however, translate it myself. I know the following words without looking them up: Elohim, kol, asher, tov, erev, yom. These are useful, but do not make for a particularly accurate translation. Also, there will be no vowels until I figure out how to make them...it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult, but the consonants are sufficient for now. So while the original purpose of this post was to point to the Nachmanides quote, it seems to have turned into Hebrew practice. Which is fine, since I'm fairly certain I'm the only one reading this anyway.)




No comments: