Tuesday, February 23, 2010

QotD #1

"Religion is man's effort to elicit meaning and value from confrontation with the holy." -- Robert M. Seltzer, Jewish People, Jewish Thought, p. 47

This breaks down, of course, when dealing with those who don't believe in "the holy". I haven't read anything by Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, not because I'm against atheism (I was, after all, raised atheist), but because I resent being told that because I'm not an atheist, I must necessarily be stupid or deluded or both.

There is a whole long rambling post in my opinion of the nature of the divine...actually, there are probably several, since said opinion tends to fluctuate. I really hope my Beit Din doesn't ask me about my relationship to God, since I'm afraid I'll end up stuttering and flailing and having no answer whatsoever.

No comments: