Wednesday, February 24, 2010

And now for something completely different

A friend of mine posted a link to this article about why Jews don't write fantasy literature (as differentiated from science fiction). Narnia* and Middle Earth, Prydain and Oz played a large role in my childhood (some who know me would ask if anything's changed), and I had noticed a lack of Jewish representation in the genre. The article helps explain why.

*I didn't realize for years after I read the Chronicles of Narnia that they're a Christian allegory. That helped explain why I had such a hard time handling the last book, The Last Battle, since from what I understand, it's based on the Book of Revelation. I found it confusing and unsettling, in a way that the other books weren't. I read the other six over and over, but I think I only read The Last Battle once. I should probably read it again; I think it would make more sense to me now.

Also, I become cranky at the sets of the Chronicles of Narnia that reorder the books to be in chronological order. If Lewis had wanted them that way, he would have ordered them that way himself. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, while chronologically second, is intended to be the reader's introduction to Narnia. By the time you get to The Magician's Nephew, chronologically first, but sixth in the series, you should have five books worth of Narnian background, so you have the knowledge of what's going to happen to the country in its future.

And at this point, C would be teasing me with something like "There's no such thing as chronological order for things that didn't happen." C prefers to read books based in reality. I think reality is overrated.

No comments: